San Diego, CA 92122
The Controller manages all functions of the finance department, providing financial information about all the company activities that will assist owners, management and other employees in making educated economic decisions about the company’s future. This position ensures legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions.
• Oversee the activities of the finance department for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements and annual audits and budgets.
• Oversee the account payable team and ensures the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, petty cash, employee expense reports, payroll processing for internal and temporary staff, cash control and total corporate payroll tax compliance and filings in multiple states.
• Oversee the accounts receivable team to ensure the accurate and timely management of A/R aging components including invoices to clients, cash receipts, weekly funding reports, quarter and year-end payroll and accounts closing. Includes filing of any required quarterly and year-end federal, state, county and local municipal reports.
• Prepares annual audit information for the company and workers’ compensation insurance and takes an active role leading the audits.
• Assures corporate income tax compliance to assure the accurate and timely completion and filing of all corporate tax returns, taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
• Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data.
• Audits the work of finance team members as needed.
• Establishes financial procedures, policies, and SOPs to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
• Protects company assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls.
• Hires, trains, develops and appraises staff effectively, taking timely corrective action as needed and in accordance with company policy. Consults with HR as needed.
• Maintains positive external relationships with audit firm, banking partner, 401(k) provider, tenants, etc.
• Provides on-going training when new systems are implemented and/or updates to existing systems are rolled out.
• Stays abreast of industry trends and regulations to ensure effectiveness and compliance.
• Perform other related duties as assigned by CEO and President.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and other reasonably related duties may be assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field plus five (5) years of professional-level as a Controller or Senior Accountant or ten (10) years of work experience in Finance reflecting increasing levels of responsibility may be substituted for degree.
• Knowledge of staffing industry and working in a privately held, family-run business is extremely helpful.
• Advanced skill level using Great Plains, Excel, Dynamic GP, payroll software, and ATS.
• Needs to be very familiar with intercompany transactions as company operates with seven (7) entities.
• Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
• Experience in the most current technologies and products used in the industry.
• Must have a strong background in audits and multiple state payroll processing.
• Ability to build appropriate relationships and train a diverse group of management, non-management staff and clients.
• Experience of more than ten (10) years or more highly desired.
• Experience completing, reading, analyzing and interpreting complex financial reports.
The physical demands listed are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Modified “light duty” restrictions may be arranged as needed and when available for job-related injuries or illnesses.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hands for clerical duties and keyboarding. The employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms, stoop and kneel.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Acute hearing is necessary for telephone and in-person communication with callers and clients, and visual acuity sufficient to read a computer screen and paper documents.
This position typically functions indoors in an office environment with light to moderate noise associated with business office equipment. The position involves travel to office locations, meetings and events.
I have read and understand the job functions assigned to this position and classification. Should the job duties/tasks change over time, I will notify the Company.